Thursday, April 11, 2013

Crochet Motif Dress--from the Interweave Crochet Summer 2012 issue


I have been working on this dress since last fall. I think it will be beautiful, but I am using crochet thread from my stash, so the colors aren't exactly the same. Some of the crochet thread was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago. She died recently, so it's kind of in her honor a little. I think about her sometimes when I'm working on this.

I'm also going to have to make adjustments to the pattern. I am using a smaller hook than was called for in the instructions and bedspread cotton (#10 crochet thread). My motifs are about 6 inches wide. The instructions called for a thicker yarn.The gauge is not the same and therefore each motif is about 3 to 6 inches smaller.

The pattern calls for 40 motifs, total, per side and is supposed to be mid-calf length. When I got to 40 motifs, it was slightly below my waist. I'm adding a couple of rows.

The way the magazine says to fasten/sew together the front and back does not make sense to me. The instructions say to crochet the two sides together using a chain stitch at the seam. Since the cloth of the dress is formed by crocheting the last row of a motif and connecting that to previously crocheted and connected motifs, I want to connect the front and back as I go, too. That way, when I finish the last motif, I'm DONE! I don't have to still sew it together.

I have joined the neck of the other side, so far. Next I am going to crochet the neckline and see how the armhole works or doesn't. I'm not sure of it. I think I might want to take out some motifs at the top. I may need to add a side panel to get the underarm right. 

No comments: