Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Sweaters of "The Bletchley Circle"

I watch most of the shows I really like via their respective channel websites, because no one else in the family wants to watch them, just me. I do this in the afternoons after lunch mostly, while waiting for the kids to get home from school.

So...I'm watching the first episode of The Bletchley Circle on the computer. It's on P.B.S. I really like the show, so far...it's kind of like Nancy Drew meets Criminal Minds. However, I found myself getting totally distracted by the SWEATERS!!!!! Most of them look handmade, and handmade in an expert way, not in a haphazardly shoddy way.

I'm going to have to watch it AGAIN (if I can) just for the sweaters. I'm sure I've missed some. I found myself getting distracted from the story with thoughts like "Yes, the story is interesting, it's too bad that poor girl dies, and I wonder who the killer is, but never mind that, just LOOK at that SWEATER!", or "O.M.G.! There's ANOTHER one!"

First, I saw one or two in the code-breaking room and I thought, "Wow, what a beautiful sweater!" It was the beaded mohair/angora one the character Lucy was wearing. Then I saw the one that Susan was wearing (more ooh's and aah's).

Then, in an absolutely UNFAIR move, it's 9 years later and the scene opens with Susan knitting a sweater pattern in a really interesting hairy mustardy-grey colored wool. I just got a brief glimpse of the  name of the pattern and I remember it begins W-r-vowel-x---- Jumper. (Jumper is British English for sweater.) I NEED to see that pattern! I think the actress was just doing straight stockinette, though, not actually following the pattern, but I could be wrong.

More gorgeous sweaters ensue! Susan's wearing a maroon/burgundy/dark red cabled thing, I think. When the kids come home from school, the boy's wearing an argyle vest!!!!! Then she's wearing a blue one in a leaf pattern, and when she goes to visit her friend, the creepy guy who runs the coffee shop is wearing yet ANOTHER drop dead gorgeous sweater with cables and all sorts of beautiful fancy    knit stitches!!!!

I'll have to watch the other two episodes, just to see the sweaters. Total drool-fest!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been reading through the parts of your blog where you talk about working with the warp-weighted loom. I'm going to be building one to use with the kids at my church this summer. Your descriptions and explanations have been very helpful! I especially appreciate the description of how you attached the heddle with lark's heads - that looks so much simpler than other ways to do it I've seen described. I also really appreciated your insight into the Hebrew word for warp. Thanks for putting all your experience out on the web for others to benefit from!

Angela