Thursday, October 6, 2011

Notes for the loom

I was looking back over my older posts and came across one from the last time I set up the loom, two, maybe three years ago, now. I got some more technical I'd forgotten.

Warp bundles of 10 ends need about 5 or 6 ounces of weight to make them hang properly. The clay weights weigh around 1 ounce or so each. The new ones weigh more than the older ones, obviously.

I was reading a blog post the other day from someone in England who weaves on a warp weighted. She addressed a problem with "waisting" selvedges which I've also encountered. There you are, weaving happily along and all of a sudden, you've got a cloth narrowing into a triangle and you didn't want that. It's similar to what happens in crochet when you don't chain up to begin the new row. Her solution was to graduate the weights--more on the sides, less on the middle bundles. I will try that, but I need to ask her how much more on each side or if she just did what worked and didn't calculate how much.

I'm toying with an idea of making the band out of two purpley colors...a Roman Senate look, maybe. I've got the wool on cones for that. hmm. Or maybe just go with a blue band and not be so controversial...I've got the blue in wool for that one, also. Or I could really play with fire and do temple colors on the band. We'll see.

No comments: