Saturday, October 8, 2011

Blue Whales and More things for the loom

Gregg and I went got up REAAAAL early this am and went out to the Starbucks in the PV Peninsula where PCH intersects Hawthorne. There weren't any clouds and the view was beautiful. We were hoping to catch a glimpse of the blue whales that we'd heard were hanging out along the coast, but I don't know that we saw any. There's a really nice patio that faces the ocean and runs along the Starbucks, the Subway and another couple more stores whose names I don't know. The prices are the same as any other Starbucks, but the view!

Then we went to Home Depot. I got three 4' dowels for the loom, in case I get ambitious and decide to go ahead with the 3/1 or 1/3 twill sett. One is black walnut, one is reddish...maybe oak, because it doesn't smell like cherry and the third is just plain white--maybe birch or something. They were all the same price.

I am thinking up what I am going to say to make a set of really short videos on how to make the header band and tie it to the beam, chain the warp, make the cross, set up the loom, make and hang the weights, spacing chain(s), tie the heddles, and then, finally (sigh!) weave. I'm also going to include the tools I use in the video, and what the Aramaic is for the various parts.

I still need to ask if someone can tape the set up parts that are necessary before you start making the cloth, because THAT is the thing that makes or breaks the loom. I will make up the script for the whole thing, with camera cues first, e-mail it to Thersa, AJ and Jon and see what happens.

No comments: