Saturday, October 22, 2011

Making the header band.

The header band


I got the warping paddle/rigid heddle threaded for the header band. I got the handspun washed and weighted to dry out on the deck. I also found the wool box and it looks like most of the wool is still in very good condition, so I'm pleased about that.

one end of the header band
I went with a grey, black, brown and green on the cord. I decided to use the Patons from my stash for the warp. So far, I'm happy with what it's doing. I don't know if it will hold the weights, but we'll see.

I wove about 6 to 8 inches of the header cord tonight at craft night. I tried to take photos, but the battery was dead. I've got 36 ends so far and I'm dividing them into groups of 12. So far the color is working out like this: I've got 4 greys, then 4 black, 2 brown 2 green, 2 brown 4 black and 4 grey. Then I'm going and doing 4 black, 4 brown, and 4 green. That is as far as I've gotten.
the other end of the header band

I've come up with a way to weave the header band that works for me. I weave one end of the header through, but don't pull it in all the way. I then measure the rest of the warp for that end AND for the next one. I hold both ends together, and weave the other shed on the cord, and then pull them both through at the same time, making sure to keep the selvedge on the one side neat. It seems to be working well.

I brought it home to work on next week, so I will take photos and show step by step in the next post.

My back and shoulders really hurt! It's been a long time since I did this, and the chairs at church didn't work as well as my dining chairs here at home.

No comments: