Thursday, October 13, 2011

Past photos of the warp-weighted loom

I went searching through the old photo cd's. I found some pictures that had been taken of the loom in Journey to Bethlehem, so I am posting them. They are in order of year.




December 2005, the first year we put up the loom.


I misjudged how long it would take to make the heddles, so that's what I'm doing here. And doing it wrong, as it turns out. I should have been tieing the heddles to the bar above me. I really didn't know what I was doing at the time. I had barely learned to weave on a regular loom.






You can see the loom weights. I got some air dry clay at Joann's and made those. I re-use them every year, but I always have to make more. Some of them break. Another problem is that they dry out and lose moisture weight. I've figured out that I need 5 to 8 ounces on each warp bundle. I had these at 10 ends per bundle and 1 weight on each one.











This is the loom in December 2006. It's blurry. I'm spinning, there on the near end in the pink and black. You can see the header cord, at the top, there.










This photo is from December 2008 or '09. It's a close up of the spacing chain on the warp.

























































































































1 comment:

Jackie said...

Neat pictures! Love how much time and love you put into your work!