Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The weights

Yesterday afternoon, I took my 6th grader to Joann's and we got the air drying clay, a fondant rolling pin (I am NOT using my good wooden rolling pin to roll out clay!!!!!), a set of brushes because mine keep disappearing, and a push mold for faces.

I made the clay weights out of my clay and he tried to make the jar bottoms from his. Once I got my weights done, I helped him do his jars. We ended up rolling out the clay and covering old medicine bottles we dug out of our recycling bin. There are four. I will have him do the human one tonight, because it is the easiest--it has the push mold for the face. I will have him use some of my glass beads I have for jewelry for the eyes.

The weights turned out well. They didn't dry completely last night, by the way. I didn't want to set them on the furnace floor vent, but I probably should have. Last time, I set them in the sun for two days. Last time I also made them much earlier in the year. It has been foggy and cold (for Los Angeles) this past week. However, they are somewhat dry and I don't think they will lose their shape if I hang them. I'm not going to run the warp directly through them, though. I'll make string loops and use those.

If anyone reading this is interested in warp weighted looms, please note: I use air dry clay because it's easier and doesn't flake if the weights clink together. I usually use wire or string to tie the weights to the warp, because I don't want terra cotta color on my warp! The warp is wool and I'm going to use the wool we have spun for the weft. The story is that the governor has commissioned a white wool homespun tunic just like Augustus wears. So, being a good businesswoman, I'm charging him three times the regular price because he's from out of town (the meaning of "special price, just for you!").

Audrey

No comments: