Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Weights, warp and very tangled threads!

Well!

Note to self: 
When you are gluing things with superglue you only need one drop! I did not know this, so I had to pry the prospective loom weight off the kitchen table. Some of the finish on the table went with the loom weight. Oh well.

The florists' stem wrap tape worked very well to cover the metal weight, but it isn't very sticky at the ends. It does the job, though. Maybe I just got some old tape, or something.

I started back at the T.U.S.D. adult school with the hand weaving class again! Yay! This class is a super deal! You can weave whatever you like on any loom and you just supply your own yarn. This session, I'm trying to figure out a better way to rig the heddles on the loom.

The class started last week. I spent the whole class trying to untangle the threads and unroll the weaving. I got most of the weights untied last week. 

This week, I got it unrolled and re-grouped the threads in tens. I have 440! What was I thinking!!!! I will have to mix the weights, but I think I have enough to put the heavier ones on the back threads and the clay ones on the front threads. It's the back threads where the weight matters. Most people will see only the front weights, if they notice them at all.

I need to get a cone of butcher or kitchen string, or something and make a variety of sizes of loops. I think I will try 8, 10, and 12 inch loops. That should give me a 4, 5, and 6 inch pull...I think. So, I will sett a 1-3 twill, to practice the loops and see what works. That way, I will only have to make around 110 of each loop, and only make 330, because the front ones don't need them.

A couple of other notes about loom weights: The heavier the warp, the more weight you need to create the proper tension. With a lighter or finer warp, you need less. How much is missing from most of the instruction material I've examined.

Here's what I think:

For heavier, "normal" (i.e. worsted weight) yarn that you'd buy at a craft store (like Joann's, or Michael's, or your local yarn shop), you'd need between 8 to 12 ounces of weight per 10 to 12 warp threads.

If you are using a lighter yarn, like a sport weight, then you will need between 4 and 6 ounces.

If you are using weaving yarn like an 8/2 or smaller on the warp weighted loom, then you might only need 2 to 3 ounces per 10 to 12.

You should also seriously question your sanity, in that case. Of course, since you are going to set up a warp weighted loom, you're probably already halfway there, in the minds of your friends, relations and significant others.

Why? I'll spell it out for you: a fine warp and weft are harder to see. It is easy to miss threads. It also takes longer to weave yardage on your project. It becomes what is known as a character-building, educational, bonding experience. ("no discipline seems pleasant at the time, etc...").

Now that's not to say that you can't do this, it's just more difficult to do. It is possible to use a weaving-type yarn for the warp and a thicker one for the warp. That was and is done quite a bit. You could, for example, use a linen warp and a wool weft, unless you are terribly concerned with shatnez, or intend to actually wash the resulting cloth with modern machinery instead of, say, pounding it clean with some rocks, or something.

I would not use a warp heavier or bulkier than the "worsted weight" yarn. A bulky-chunky yarn would have you up to about 12 to 16 ounces per 10 and that may be too much weight for the beam, altogether. You could make a thicker beam, if you wanted, I suppose. I wouldn't.

I'm about 5' 2". My beam is about 5 to 6 feet long and 4 inches in diameter, it's wood. As I mentioned above, the current project has 440 wool warp threads. I can not carry the beam very far when it's weighted and have serious problems lifting it into place.

The more ends per inch, the more weight you're dealing with. It's not just the loom weights, either. There's the weight of the beam, yarn, heddle rod or rods, as well as any sticks, cloth or cardboard you use to put in between the woven layers. This is something you need to consider when you are making your loom and warping the project. Do you have help to lift the beam, or is it just you? Don't go giving yourself a hernia.






No comments: