Saturday, September 29, 2012

Loom Weight Re-design

This is a step-by-step how to on the re-designed loom weights.

I needed something that would be around 8 ounces for this warp. 6 ounces was not enough to hold the bundles of 10 warp threads taut and under tension.

Some friends of mine found some very large washers about 4 inches wide. Two of them put together weigh around 8 ounces, maybe a bit more.

This is one pair of washers after I glued it together.

I used Glue dots in line form to glue them together. 
You can see the line on the right side of the washer in the photo.

This is a glued weight. I'm wrapping it using brown florist's tape or stem wrap.

Here is the finished weight.

Two down, 34 more to go! :)

The one thing that concerns me is that the ends of the stem wrap don't stick very well. I wonder how they will hold up to a weeks' worth of clinking and friction. I may want to make yarn holders for them like I did for the clay ones, so that the yarn is not rubbing on the tape and getting sticky.

No comments: