Monday, February 10, 2014

Simple Lace Shawl, The Scarf: This time, it's technical.


Simple Lace Shawl, center section.
This post is going to be very technical. If you are just looking in for fun, you might want to switch back to Farmville or Candy Crush and watch the timer count down until your life points recycle. Or you could hang out with me and learn something. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The last time I posted, I'd finished both the Simple Lace Shawl and the Spring Ruana patterns (if you want to see the patterns there is a link to them in the previous post). The client also wanted a matching scarf for each shawl.



Making the scarf for the Spring Ruana was fairly simple. I just crocheted a third lace panel from the pattern. It took me a couple of weeks, total.

The scarf to match the Simple Lace Shawl is not so simple. There wasn't a scarf option already built into the pattern, so I had to figure one out. There is probably a similar pattern in existence, someplace, but I'm not about to go web surfing to find out. Noooo! Audrey's going to go re-invent the wheel again.
The scarf, so far.

For the scarf, the look I wanted was two pointy ends. I'm going to work the center section until I get to about 30 inches from the center. Next I will work two pattern repeats (16 rows) straight, with no increases or decreases. After the 16 rows, to make the point go the opposite direction, I need to switch the position of the increases and decreases.

So in the pattern, the pointy bit is made by repeating row 1 every other row, and then knitting or purling the wrong side for the following row except for the eyelet row.

Row 1 is as follows: k1, M1, k15, k2tog, k1, ssk, k15, M1, k1.
Note the bolded stitches.

For the 16 row repeat, you would just knit or purl the row 1's, depending on where you are in the pattern.

To make the point go the other way, you would do the following:
Row 1 opposite: k1, k2tog, k15, M1, k1, M1, k15, ssk, k1.

(Did I just hear your eyes glazing over? I warned you, remember? Still here? Good. Let's continue, then.)

For the shawl, I used doubled yarns and a U.S. size 10 needle. For the scarf, I 'm also using the size 10 needles. I'm using sock yarns for color A: Berroco Comfort Sock in dark blue and Premier Yarn's Deborah Norville collection Serenity Garden Yarn in crocus (purple varigated) held together. For color B, I'm using Simply Soft in lavender again, but just the one strand.

Color A: Blue and Varigated purple sock yarns, held together.
Color B: Simply Soft in Lavender










Why am I going with three different companies for the yarns, you ask? Because they don't make Simply Soft in a fingering or sock yarn weight.

A lot of sock yarns are wool blends. If you're making a sock, that's great. If you're making it for someone who has a "no sheep for you" issue, it's a problem. I was looking for something very soft that could be thrown into the washer. I was staying with the lavender color for B. Since I'd held two yarns together on the shawl to get the colorway I wanted, I needed to go with something in similar colors, but thinner for color A. I bought the blue sock yarn online, but didn't see a purple there. Purple is tricky, anyway. So I went to Joann's and found the Deborah Norville and got that.

See? I told you it was technical.

No comments: