Saturday, February 16, 2013

Almost Healthy Moco Loco

I made Moco Loco for breakfast this morning.

Those of you who are Hawaii Five-O fans may have heard it mentioned once or twice in various episodes on the show. Some of you may be wondering what it is and why I put the qualifier "almost healthy" in describing this morning's breakfast version which I made.

Moco Loco is basically a bowl of sticky rice, topped by a hamburger patty, topped by a fried egg and then with gravy poured over everything.

This morning's version was sticky rice, topped by a lean burger patty (3% fat) which was cooked in a low-moisture/no fat pan.

I topped this with a poached (not fried) egg.

My husband, Gregg, made the gravy using low fat beef consomme.

So...yeah. It's not really what you'd call healthy, exactly. It could be slightly healthier if I used a veggie patty and brown sticky rice, but my family doesn't like brown rice. My husband really likes moco loco. So I made it for him and we force fed it to the 19, 16, and 12 year olds. 16 and 12 opted out of the gravy and used ketchup instead.


No comments: